MasterTech Auto Repair is a conveniently located authorized Virginia State Inspection Station servicing residents and businesses of Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth and Chesapeake. Being a full service NAPA Auto Care automotive repair shop with qualified ASE certified technicians, we are also capable of repairing any inspection violations to get you back on the road again quickly. Call 490-1414 to find out the best time available to bring your vehicle by.
Virginia State Inspection FAQ's
New vehicles purchased in Virginia that have been inspected in accordance with an inspection requirement of the manufacturer or distributor are not required to undergo the initial annual safety inspection. Placement of an inspection sticker on the windshield of a vehicle will be at the automobile dealer’s option.
There is no grace period. Once you have registered a vehicle with the Division of Motor Vehicles in the state of Virginia, it must be inspected immediately.
The sticker expires the last day of the month, regardless of whether it is a weekday (Monday-Friday) or weekend (Saturday-Sunday).
Vehicles 25 years or older can be defined as "antique". If the vehicle is registered as an antique through the Department of Motor Vehicles, it is exempt from state inspection. However, antique motor vehicles shall not be used for general transportation purposes, including, but not limited to, daily travel to and from the owner’s place of employment. It can be used on the highway for participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events or for the purpose of testing their operation.
The validity period of a rejection sticker shall be 15 days, in addition to the day of inspection.
$20 for each inspection of any other vehicle, including trailers and motor homes.
$12 for each inspection of any motorcycle and autocycle.
$51 for each inspection of any (i) tractor truck, (ii) truck that has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or more, or (iii) motor vehicle that is used to transport passengers and has a seating capacity of more than 15 passengers, including the driver.
Virginia State Inspection Procedures
- REMOVE OLD INSPECTION STICKER;
- DRIVE VEHICLE INTO INSPECTION LANE OR BAY;
- INSPECT BRAKES FOR: Worn, damaged or missing parts. Worn, contaminated or defective linings or drums. Leaks in system, proper fluid level. Worn, contaminated or defective disc pads or discs. (NOTE: A minimum of two wheels and drums must be removed from each vehicle at the time of inspection. Consult the official inspection manual for exceptions.)
- INSPECT PARKING BRAKE FOR: Broken or missing parts. Proper adjustment. Standard factory equipment or equivalent.
- INSPECT HEADLIGHTS FOR: Approved type, aim, and output. Condition of lamp, wiring and switch. Beam indicator.
- INSPECT OTHER LIGHTS FOR: Approved type, proper bulbs, condition of lenses, wiring and switch. Aim of fog and driving lamps. Illumination of all lamps, lens color, and condition of lens. (NOTE: Every vehicle must have a rear lamp showing a red light to the rear, a white light illuminating the rear license plate; vehicles over 7 feet wide or extending 4 inches or more beyond the front fender extremes must be equipped with approved clearance lamps and reflex reflectors. Count load in measuring.)
- INSPECT SIGNAL DEVICE FOR: Approved type, proper bulbs, condition of lenses, wiring and switch. Correct indications and telltale (visual or audible). Illumination of all lamps, lens color, and condition of lens.
- INSPECT STEERING & SUSPENSION FOR: (Jack up front end as shown in Manual) Wear in bushings, kingpins, ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends. Looseness of gear box on frame, condition of drag link and steering arm. Play in steering wheel. Wheel alignment and axle alignment. Broken spring leaves, and worn shackles. Shock absorbers. Broken frame. Broken or missing engine mounts. Lift blocks.
- INSPECT TIRES, WHEELS & RIMS FOR: Condition of tires including tread depth. Mixing radials and bias ply tires. Wheels that are cracked or damaged so as to affect safe operation.
- INSPECT MIRROR FOR: Rigidity of mounting. Condition of reflecting surface. View of road to rear (Truck mirrors must extend at least halfway beyond edge of body) – (Visibility 200 feet to rear).
- INSPECT HORN FOR: Electrical connections, mounting and horn button. Emits sound audible for a minimum of 200 feet.
- INSPECT WINDSHIELD AND OTHER GLASS FOR: Approved type safety glass. Cloudiness, distortion or other obstruction to vision. Cracked, scratched or broken glass. Stickers. ALL UNAUTHORIZED STICKERS MUST BE REMOVED. Sunshading material attached to the windshield to ensure it does not extend more than 3 inches downward from the top of windshield, unless authorized by Medical Waiver Certificate.
- INSPECT WINDSHIELD WIPER/DEFROSTER FOR: Operating condition. Condition of blade.
- INSPECT EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR: Exhaust line-manifold, gaskets, pipes, mufflers, connections, etc. Leakage of gases at any point from motor to point discharged from system.
- INSPECT LICENSE TAGS FOR: Illumination of rear plate.
- INSPECT HOOD AND AREA UNDER THE HOOD FOR: Operating condition of hood latch. Presence of emissions system -Evidence that any essential parts have been removed, rendered inoperative or disconnected. Fluid levels that are below the proper level 1. Brake fluid. 2. Power steering fluid. Power steering belt - proper tension, wear, or absence.
- INSPECT AIR POLLUTION CONTROL SYSTEM (1973 and Subsequent Models) FOR: Installation. Operation. (NOTE: This includes the catalytic converter and the fuel tank filler pipe.)
- INSPECT DRIVER’S SEAT FOR: Anchorage. Location. Condition.
- INSPECT SEAT BELTS FOR: Approved type. Installation.
- INSPECT DOORS AT THE RIGHT & LEFT SIDE OF THE DRIVER’S SEAT FOR: Handle or opening device which will permit the opening of the door from the outside and inside of the vehicle. Latching system which will hold door in its proper closed position.
- INSPECT FUEL SYSTEM FOR: Any part that is not securely fastened. Liquid fuel leakage. Fuel tank filler cap for presence.
- INSPECT FLOOR PAN FOR: (a) Holes which allow exhaust gases to enter occupant compartment. (b) Conditions which create a hazard to the occupants.
- ISSUE STICKER: (a) If approved, place approval sticker on the vehicle, and give pink copy of certificate to operator. (b) ALL DEFECTS MUST BE CORRECTED AND THE VEHICLE RE-INSPECTED WITHIN 15 DAYS. THE DRIVER MAY BE IN JEOPARDY OF RECEIVING A SUMMONS FOR ANY DEFECT STILL PRESENT ANY TIME THE VEHICLE IS OPERATED ON THE HIGHWAY.
MasterTech Auto Care's Service Area
MasterTech Auto Care is a certified Virginia State Inspection Station serving residents and businesses in the Hampton Roads cities of Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth and Chesapeake, Virginia.
MasterTech Auto Care is an authorized NAPA AutoCare Center employing ASE Certified auto repair technicians. We have served Hampton Roads for over 20 years with decades of combined foreign & domestic auto repair experience on staff.
After Hours Quick Contact Form
MasterTech Auto Care is open Monday – Friday 8AM – 5PM. If you're searching for a quality auto repair shop after hours, you found the right one for you! Drop us a quick message. We WILL contact you first thing the next business day. SAVE TIME! Schedule an Appointment Online Now!